Tuesday, August 12, 2014

1. How to describe a garment 101



Well hello there. I am currently sitting in the basement of the house trying to figure out how did I even pass my first textiles class. Textile 2, also known as "everything about fabrics" is very much different and with a much more strict teacher. Now onto my final project of Winter semester, I had to describe 5 garments from a collection and of course, I decided to share my knowledge that its definitely not professional and not recommended in case of "copy/paste" work inspiration.  

First essential is to know the fabrics used, textile content (if asked) and have a garment description guide to help. The Oregon State University's "Fashion Terms and Styles for Women's Garments"  has been a blessing when it comes to describing collars, dresses, shirts and etc. Second, It's really important to include the characteristics of the fabric's fibres, especially if its a blend. Using a good amount of justification as to why a certain fabric is used for a certain type of garment is a must, such as to why (insert fabric) is best adequate for said so garment. Including characteristics like: Absorbent, lightweight, wrinkle-resistant, easy to dye, etc.

Describing the fabrics textile construction, the weight of the fabric and its fibre content basically resume the whole thing. Here's an excerpt of my project:

"This dress features a scoop neckline with drop shoulder sleeves' length. It is a sheaths dress that is straight and narrow without any waistline seams. It has a zip opening on the side. Cut from firm, mid-weight stretch jersey fabric. It is above the knew and it is made of dark-grey stretch jersey. This dress is shaped to fit the figure.
The fabric used for this garment is stretch jersey. The fabric’s content is polyester (63%), viscose (27%), cotton (7%), elastane (3%) and the lining is made of polyester (82%) and spandex (18%).  The jersey is a knit fabric in wepth which are known to be more comfortable."


DIANE VON FURSTENBERG

Bevin ruched stretch-jersey sheath dress



In the hopes this was useful to you, I'll also link down below sites that could help when describing garments.
Clothing Words To Use or McMillan Dictionary, garments dictionaries, no lies !
Physical Properties and Characteristics for textile construction, if you don't have your notes with you, this is a life saver.







Disclaimer: I am only a Fashion Marketing student, I do not have any professional insight to give therefore this is only a basic guidelines as to how I have followed the teacher's guidelines and what they usually expect at my school. I am not an expert on textiles nor garment description but I did pass this course with a more than great average. As a base of my very little student knowledge, here's what to do/not to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment